Fishing US Home Fishing Message Board Classifieds Fishing Gallery Reviews
User Name
Password
Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Enter your email to receive our weekly newsletter!

Saltwater Fishing Saltwater Fishing Discussion. For fish reports see regional boards below.

Go Back   Fishing US- Fishing Forum > General Fishing > Saltwater Fishing

Old 08-02-2008, 01:49 PM

Default Poisonous fish in South Florida?

Hey. I'm fishing in Miami, little and big Maule lake. The fish I'm talking about is pretty much everywhere in South Florida. It's in size anything from finger length to a good 5 lb monster. It is poisonous and really nasty looking. There are two species, one has spots all over it, like a leopard or jaguar, and another one is stripped like a frog.

When you take it out it inflates itself. (no, it don't look like a puffer fish)
...and it makes noise, it cries.

I want to know how its called, and whether I can handle it with bare hands to take hook out.

Because until now I've been cutting hooks off, and it just screws my hole rig, and I loose hooks. So I wonder if it's safe to handle that thing.

Fishing.Us Featured Sites

Last edited by sharkbait : 08-02-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:59 AM

Default Poisonous fish in South Florida?

The name ciguatera (pronounced sig-wa-TEHR-a) came from an incorrect assumption that it was caused by a small sea snail that the Spanish called cigua.Actually, ciguatoxin is produced by a single-celled, free-swimming dinoflagellate, the protozoan Gambiendiscus toxicus, which attaches itself to marine algae growing on coral reefs. It is consumed by small herbivorous reef fish as they eat the algae. These reef fish are eaten by larger carnivorous fish and the fat-soluble toxin becomes more and more concentrated as it passes up the food chain.
__________________________________________________ ___________
Arnold
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com